COMPARISON OF OPEN SOURCE VIRTUAL GLOBES
Several open source virtual globes are available as an alternative to Google Earth. This talk shall give an overview of well known projects like NASA World Wind or OSSIM Planet but also some little-known alternatives like osgEarth and others.
The following aspects are compared:
- with or without elevation
* ease of navigation
- input devices: mouse, keyboard, 3D mouse, gamepad, joystick, ...
* default datasets (offline/online)
* importing user data: WMS/WFS, images, vectors, elevation, 3D objects
- GIS: measurement, profile, ...
- other: search, routing, flight paths, movie export, ...
* scripting and expandability (e.g. plugins)
* underlying technologies
- programming language
- other libraries: GUI, ...
- ease of installation/building
Mathias Walker - Sourcepole AG
Pirmin Kalberer - Sourcepole AG