ENHANCING SATELLITE DATA UTILIZATION USING FOSS4G - APPROACH OF AN MEXT FUNDED PROJECT IN JAPAN -
These days, remote sensing data become more and more easily accessible and social demands for utilizing it have been growing steadily. On the other hand, most people are confused about how they can get original satellite data and how they have to deal with it.
Under such circumstances, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), Japan has considered the plan of removing such barriers on data usage. We have taken part in this project, and have strived to tackle this problem through the following three points.
1. Developing the customized platform of FOSS4G tool.
* GRASS and QGIS panel menu have been localized to Japanese with exhaustive documentation.
* The localized GRASS and QGIS have been checked to run under both windows 7 32bit and 64bit environment.
* The localized GRASS and QGIS have been packaged in one integrated installer in order to be used easily.
2. Making tutorial about processing the satellite data with FOSS4G tool.
* The way of getting Japanese satellite data products derived from ASTER, AVNIR-2, PRISM, PALSAR, LANDSAT and MODIS remote sensors have been explained.
* Usage of GRASS and QGIS for satellite images has been elucidated.
* Some tips and precautions about using current GRASS and QGIS have been provided.
3. Constructing the e-learning contents of satellite data usage.
* Course Management System (CMS) based on Moodle has been implemented.
* Investigation on how to offer media-rich e-learning contents has been conducted.
This project is 3-years plan. Therefore, above achievements are expected to be developed more beneficial with the focus on enhancing broader use of space derived products and user support.
Toru Mori - Orkney, Inc.
Kanetaka Heshiki - Orkney, Inc.
Venkatesh Raghavan - Osaka City University
Naoki Ueda - Osaka City University
Yoichi Kayama - Aero Asahi Corporation
Nobusuke Iwasaki - National Institute for Agro-Environmental Sciences
Daisuke Yoshida - Tezukayamagakuin University
Taichi Furuhashi - Mapconcierg